SLDLP #9 – 11/07/2019
“Back to the Beach “ ( November 7th 2020) was a slightly different edition due to the Covid 19 restrictions and rules in force at that time. Therefore, at each location, the organizers have only accepted a limited number of participants.
The emphasis remained on single-use plastics: volunteers joined the 8 selected areas, to clean-up, sort out PET (plastic 1), weigh all trash, and dispose of waste at the collection point designated by the government authorities. PET bottles were sent for recycling whenever possible.
The results are below :
– 335 volunteers on 8 locations ( Lamma, Lantau South, Tai Po, Sai Kung, Clear Water Bay, Chung Hom Kok, Cape d’Aguilar and Shek’o )
– 6454 bottles removed, of which 4250 have been sent directly to V Cycle for recycling.
– 3 781 kilos of trash with some heavy items where the weight has been estimated only (such as fridge, surfboard, tires, containers etc..)
– of which 650 kilos of ghost nets and ropes and 200 kilos weighted of polyfoam (which is very light)
– at Cap d’Aguilar, 2700 bottles caps were counted